[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why is it so different between 6.12.1 and 6.10.4_1 ?

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:11:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 04:28 -0700, zaxis wrote:
> Of course, you are wrong !  C is VERY important for almost every programmer
> in the world!

Hmm. We don't deny that C is important. However importance of hammer
does not make screwdriver unimportant.

While you can say that you can use screwdriver like a hammer (like you
can use Haskell to do imperative programming or vice versa) it is
usually terribly inefficient and/or inelegant.

>  Why cannot C programmer use haskell ?

(S)He can. However (s)he have to redefine him/herself from being C
programmer. As real programmer can program in Fortran in any language
you can program in any language in Haskell. You just shouldn't (as you
shouldn't program in X in Y for nearly any X != Y).

>  And Why does haskell
> support C code style ?

And BTW. Haskell have no 'C' style. You probably refer to do syntax
sugar which is:
- Not really C-style. It have syntax nowhere like C
- Only partially in traditional imperative style as it do distinguish
still between pure and unpure computation
- It can be use for much more then crude C