[Haskell-cafe] developing against privately patched libraries, and cabal

Dougal Stanton dougal at dougalstanton.net
Sun Mar 21 14:15:17 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Leon Smith <leon.p.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
> As somebody who's hacked on cabal-install a bit  (but don't have a
> worthwhile patch to contribute (yet?)),  I can tell you that versions
> support a "tag" structure,  at least internally,  but I haven't seen a
> non-empty tags field and don't know how to make the tags field
> non-empty.   For that I'd have to go source-code diving again.
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/Cabal-1.8.0.2/Distribution-Version.html

That seems just the kind of thing that could be co-opted to my
purposes, but as you say the cabal file format doesn't seem to mention
how I'd go about setting my tag field. Trying "Tag: dougal1" didn't
work, as I suspected ;-)

In the mean time I will try Stephen Tetley's approach of renaming the
package instead of the version.

Dougal Stanton
dougal at dougalstanton.net // http://www.dougalstanton.net