[Haskell-cafe] developing against privately patched libraries, and cabal

Dougal Stanton dougal at dougalstanton.net
Sun Mar 21 10:58:04 EDT 2010

If you're making local changes against a library you don't own (with
the ultimate intention of sending those changes back upstream to the
library maintainer) it makes sense change the version number to avoid
clashes with the canonical version of the library.

Of course, it's easy to lose track and end up publishing your own
program against a non-existent (outside your hard disk) version of the
library. I'd like to make it very obvious, both in mypogram.cabal and
library.cabal that one is a patched copy and the other has to be
compiled against a patched copy.

Does cabal provide any way of marking a version private? I thought
initially to just mark the version field in the patched library as
X.y-dougal and enforce my program to compile against that, but it
doesn't seem to recognise the -dougal suffix there.

Thoughts?

Dougal Stanton
dougal at dougalstanton.net // http://www.dougalstanton.net