[Haskell-cafe] Parsec monad transformer with IO?

Stefan Klinger all-lists at stefan-klinger.de
Thu Mar 18 12:37:22 EDT 2010

Hello!

Nice, Parsec 3 comes with a monad transformer [1]. So I thought I could
use IO as inner monad, and perform IO operations during parsing.

But I failed. Monad transformers still bend my mind. My problem: I
don't see a function to actually lift the IO operation into the
ParsecT. It should be something like

  lift :: IO a -> ParsecT s u IO a

The following is a toy example, I just could not make something
smaller: Let's parse command line arguments (tokens are Strings), and
execute them while parsing.

> import Text.Parsec.Prim
> import Text.Parsec.Pos
> import Text.Parsec
> import System.Environment ( getArgs )

Command line interface parser (Clip) type: Inner monad IO, user state
u, tokens are Strings, returns something typed a.

> type Clip u a = ParsecT [String] u IO a

Source code position for command line arguments: The line is always 1,
column n represents the n-th command line argument.

> nextPos p _ _ = incSourceColumn p 1

Two primitive parsers, one for flags (with a dash) and one for other
arguments:

clipFlag "x" accepts the command line flag "-x", and returns "x".

> clipFlag :: String -> Clip u String
> clipFlag x
>     = tokenPrim
>       id
>       nextPos
>       (\y -> if '-':x == y then Just x else Nothing)

clipValue accepts any command line argument that does not tart with a
dash '-'.

> clipValue :: Clip u String
> clipValue
>     = tokenPrim id nextPos test
>     where
>     test ('-':_) = Nothing
>     test other = Just other

Now the test program:

Load files given on the command line, and sum up their word count,
until -p is given. -p prints the current word count and sets the
counter to zero. Further files may be processed then. At the end, show
the sum of all word counts.

Example: foo has 12 words, bar has 34 words:

  main foo -p bar -p foo bar -p
  Counted 12 words, reset counter.
  Counted 34 words, reset counter.
  Counted 46 words, reset counter.
  Grand total: 92

> type CurrentCount = Int -- the user state used with Clip/ParsecT.

root implements the command line grammar (<filename>+ "-p")* and
returns the sum of all word counts.

> root :: Clip CurrentCount Int
> root
>     = do ns <- many (many1 loadFile >> printSize)
>          eof
>          return $ sum ns

Interprets each non-flag on the command line as filename, loads it,
counts its words, and adds the count to the state.

> loadFile :: Clip CurrentCount ()
> loadFile
>     = do -- expect a filename
>          filename <- clipValue

>          -- load the file: IO
>          content <- lift $ readFile filename

>          -- add wordcount to state
>          modifyState ((+) (length $ words content))

If -p shows up on the command line, print accumulated count, reset
counter to cero and return count for grand-total calculation.

> printSize :: Clip CurrentCount Int
> printSize
>     = do -- expect flag -p
>          clipFlag "p"

>          -- print current word count: IO
>          n <- getState
>          lift . putStrLn $ "Counted "++show n++" words, reset counter."

>          -- reset user state to zero, return word count for grand total
>          putState 0
>          return n

main just runs the root parser on the command line arguments and
checks the result.

> main
>     = do result <- getArgs >>= runParserT root 0 "command line"
>          case result of
>            Left err -> error $ show err
>            Right n -> putStrLn $ "Grand total: "++show n

So where is the lift function? Does it exist? Here, I need your help.

> lift :: IO a -> ParsecT s u IO a
> lift = undefined

Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you!
Stefan

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/parsec/3.0.0/doc/html/Text-Parsec-Prim.html#t:ParsecT

--
Stefan Klinger                                      o/klettern
                                                    /\/  bis zum