[Haskell-cafe] Space leak

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Mar 13 12:49:34 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Arnoldo Muller <arnoldomuller at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Justin,
>
> I tried and what I saw was a constant increase in memory usage.
> Any particular profiling option that you would use?

A great place to get started with profiling is the chapter in Real-World
Haskell:
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/profiling-and-optimization.html

For a problem like this I would look at general heap profiling (-hc),
retainer profiling (-hr), and also type profiling (-hy) to see if any of
them provide new insight.  For example, -hc might tell you which functions
are problematic, but -hr is more likely to help you there.  Sometimes the
specific type that is leaking is not what you think and that's why -hy is
nice.

I hope that helps,
Jason