[Haskell-cafe] Re: Books for "advanced" Haskell

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:53:12 EST 2010

Hi All

What is the state-of-the-practice in type-level programming?

I know Günther started this thread about monads, but I seem to
remember him having a long running problem with "typeful" database
programming, and I wonder if some of his problems are really in the
later area. Compared to monads, type-level programming seems much more
a wild frontier - scattered docs, fewer definitive examples, no
de-facto standard library.

The HList paper provides an implementation of extensible records -
have people found it palatable in practice?

Roel van Dijk's Hackage rev-dependency page indicates only 1 package
depends on it, and HaskellDB appears, at least from a cursory look, to
support its own re-implementation of of HList.

Best wishes

Stephen