[Haskell-cafe] How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Jun 30 16:09:22 EDT 2010

paul:
> I'm starting to see job adverts mentioning Haskell as a "nice to have",
> and even in some cases as a technology to work with.
>
> However right now I'm looking at it from the other side.  Suppose
> someone wants to hire a Haskell developer or three.  How easy is this?
> I'd appreciate replies from people who have actually done this.
>
> * How many applications did you get?
>
> * How many of those applicants knew what a monad is, or how to write
> FizzBuzz in Haskell?

Galois has had no trouble hiring Haskell programmers for a few years
now. Generally, if we advertise a position, we'll have 20-50 applicants
within a few weeks, with often extremely high skill sets.

I've heard anecdotes from other commercial users, with similar
experiences.

The open source training people are getting in Haskell seems to really
be paying off.

For those interested in getting hired, I'd encourage you to distinguish
yourselves in the market as much as you can: write libraries and get
them used by others, blog about what you're doing, be visible in the
community.

-- Don