[Haskell-cafe] How easy is it to hire Haskell programmers

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:48:50 EDT 2010

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Paul Johnson <paul at cogito.org.uk> wrote:
>> I'm starting to see job adverts mentioning Haskell as a "nice to have", and
>> even in some cases as a technology to work with.
>>
>> However right now I'm looking at it from the other side.  Suppose someone
>> wants to hire a Haskell developer or three.  How easy is this?  I'd
>> appreciate replies from people who have actually done this.
>
> I guess it must be a lot easier to find applicants if you don't
> require them to live in the same city/country as you.

"Objection!"

My experience (circa 2005) had shown that it is easy to hire Haskell
programmers (in Moscow). We've got about ten resumes from single post
in FIDO conference, most of them tried Haskell for small projects and
were glad to use it for paying job. Only one or two of them had
substantial previous Haskell experience but all resumes were from
quite capable programmers.

I think "Haskell is nice to have" is a convenient filter for good
programmers. At least it was then.