[Haskell-cafe] Re: Mining Twitter data in Haskell and Clojure

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 05:07:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM, braver <deliverable at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wren -- thanks for the clarification!  Someone said that Foldable on
> Trie may not be very efficient -- is that true?
>
> I use ByteString as a node type for the graph; these are Twitter user
> names.  Surely it's useful to replace them with Int, which I'll try,
> but Clojure works with Java String fine and it simplifies all kinds of
> exploratory data mining and debugging to keep it as a String, so I'll
> try to get the most mileage from other things before interning.
>
> What's the exact relationship between Trie and Map and their
> respective performance?

The new "The Performance of Haskell containers package" paper compares the
performance of, among other things, Maps holding Strings/ByteString. It also
improves the performance of many operations on these. I think it's very
relevant to your work.

  http://fox.ucw.cz/papers/containers/containers.pdf

Johan