[Haskell-cafe] Terminology

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 15 00:56:20 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Emmanuel Castro's message of Mon Jun 14 18:10:09 -0400 2010:
> I am looking for the name of the property linking two functions f and g
> when :
> [f(a),f(b),f(c)] = g([a,b,c])
> Is there a standard name?
> In practice, g is an optimised version of f when working on large
> amount of elements.

This is akin to a technique that data-parallel haskell uses; they call it
"chunking", but this is useful only when we were trying to evaluate elements of
the list in parallel, and generally the transformation will be more like
g([a,b,c]) ++ g([d,e,f]) etc.


More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list