[Haskell-cafe] Issue with "connectTo" function in "network" package

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Fri Jun 4 14:39:04 EDT 2010

* aditya siram <aditya.siram at gmail.com> [2010-06-03 22:30:33-0500]
> Hi all,
> I had an issue where using the connectTo [1] function would fail to
> connect to "localhost" if my wireless card was turned off. The moment
> I turned on my wireless connection it worked. But if I use connectTo
> with "127.0.0.1" [2] with my network off it works.
>
> I confirmed that "localhost' resolves to "127.0.0.1" by pinging
> "localhost" from command line with the Internet off.
>
> Is this a bug in "connectTo"?
>
> -deech
>
> [1] connectTo "localhost" (PortNumber some_number)
> [2] connectTo "127.0.0.1" (PortNumber some_number)

How exactly did it fail? Did it throw an exception? If so, what was the
exception?

Which operating system did you observe that under?

If that was Linux, can you show the contents of the following files on
that system:

/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/hosts

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain