[Haskell-cafe] Issue with "connectTo" function in "network" package

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 23:30:33 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I had an issue where using the connectTo [1] function would fail to
connect to "localhost" if my wireless card was turned off. The moment
I turned on my wireless connection it worked. But if I use connectTo
with "" [2] with my network off it works.

I confirmed that "localhost' resolves to "" by pinging
"localhost" from command line with the Internet off.

Is this a bug in "connectTo"?

[1] connectTo "localhost" (PortNumber some_number)
[2] connectTo "" (PortNumber some_number)