[Haskell-cafe] Simplest reference for how to build GHC head + get it running w/ cabal/haskell-platform?

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:45:10 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 00:57, Ryan Newton <newton at mit.edu> wrote:
> What's the easiest reference for how to build GHC head and get it up
> and running with cabal/haskell-platform?
>
> I simply installed 6.12 + haskell-platform then built ghc-6.13.xx and
> rebuilt only the packages I needed with "cabal install --reinstall".
> Perhaps this is not the recommended way.

You have to rebuild _everything_ with the new version of GHC.

> Indeed, something must be wrong because I can't build certain
> packages. (I have problems with "base" dependencies.)  For example:
>
> $ cabal install QuickCheck
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: cannot configure QuickCheck-1.2.0.0. It requires base ==3.*
> For the dependency on base ==3.* there are these packages: base-3.0.3.1 and
> base-3.0.3.2. However none of them are available.
> base-3.0.3.1 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
> base-3.0.3.2 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any

Looks like GHC-6.13 has dropped base-3 compatability; as such,
QuickCheck-1.x will not build as there is no variant that works with
base-4.

Is there any particular reason why you're not using QuickCheck-2.y ?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com