[Haskell-cafe] Simplest reference for how to build GHC head + get it running w/ cabal/haskell-platform?

Ryan Newton newton at mit.edu
Thu Jun 3 10:57:55 EDT 2010

What's the easiest reference for how to build GHC head and get it up
and running with cabal/haskell-platform?

I simply installed 6.12 + haskell-platform then built ghc-6.13.xx and
rebuilt only the packages I needed with "cabal install --reinstall".
Perhaps this is not the recommended way.

Indeed, something must be wrong because I can't build certain
packages. (I have problems with "base" dependencies.)  For example:

$ cabal install QuickCheck
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: cannot configure QuickCheck-1.2.0.0. It requires base ==3.*
For the dependency on base ==3.* there are these packages: base-3.0.3.1 and
base-3.0.3.2. However none of them are available.
base-3.0.3.1 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any
base-3.0.3.2 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any

Thanks!
  -Ryan