[Haskell-cafe] The state of Hackage: what are we doing about it?

Uwe Schmidt si at fh-wedel.de
Wed Jun 2 08:20:23 EDT 2010

Don wrote

> I see fairly regular complaints about too many Haskell libraries,
> bewildering choice of difficult-to-determine quality.
>
> I've tried to summarize the state of Hackage, and what projects are
> active to make it easier to find high quality libraries:
>
>     http://tinyurl.com/2cqw9sb
>
> Thoughts?

the Hayoo! group is currently extending the search engine, such that it
becomes possible, to not only search types and functions, but also search the
package descriptions. Building a search index for the cabal package
description is already implemented. At the moment the Hayoo! search interface
is is the missing part. Technically it's not a difficult extension, but
currently we don't have very much spare time.

For ranking the results for a package search, a download statistic could be
very useful and could easily be integrated. If such a statistic would be
available in machine readable format (csv, xml, plain text, ...), we could
integrate that.

Chees,

  Uwe

P.S.: Sorry for Hayoo! beeing down at the moment. There was a power breakdown
at FH Wedel yesterday, and that destroyed the RAID controller of the server
running Hayoo!