[Haskell-cafe] Re: Microsoft's Singularity Project and Haskell

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 16:23:45 EDT 2010

Haskell's great and all but it does have a few warts when it comes to how
much real trust one  should put into the type system.

Some compromises still exist like unsafePerformIO that you can't detect
simply by looking at the types of functions.

In order to live up to the hype and the marketing around Haskell, really
things like unsafePerformIO should not be allowed at all.

The type of

unsafePerformIO $ fireTheMissles >> return 3 ::Int

is just Int after all.

Does Singularity also have such back doors?

Dave