[Haskell-cafe] Re: Microsoft's Singularity Project and Haskell

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 09:53:54 EDT 2010

I guess that the house
OS<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=+house+OS+haskell&aq=f&aqi=g-sx7&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=>has
no one of these problems that singularity tries to solve in the first
place.

The problem of general OSs is: we have unsafe code, so what we do to deal
with it?. The usual option is the isolation trough virtual addresses so that
every pointer address is virtual. This imposes cost in task switching and
pointer handling.   The singularity alternative seems to be to check the
managed code for pointer violations at installation time.

In singularity they pretend to extend the reach of types, defined in .NET at
the assembly level for inter program and inter language safety, to  the OS
level for runtime safety. This goal is interesting, because a well defined
type system, without unsafe operations permitted, managed at the OS level
could permit pure code to run wildly in real memory very fast, for example.
With effects defined in the type system the advantages may be greater.