[Haskell-cafe] Page rank and GHC docs directory organization

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Jul 23 04:23:10 EDT 2010

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Robin KAY <komadori at gekkou.co.uk> writes:
>> the redirects and ignore the original URLs [2]. Using a "302 Found"
>> redirect instead might produce better results, at least for Google
> But the page you point to suggests 302 is discouraged, and says they
> don't help for the other search engines.  Perhaps 'latest' could just
> be a symlink to the latest version instead of a redirect?
> In addition, all versions could have a blurb saying this is for
> version x.y.z, the latest version can be found (-> url with /latest).
> I believe this should boost the page rank of the 'latest' URL.

If you both implement 'latest' as a symlink and have this blurb, then
the "latest" page will always have a rather silly looking link to

If the latest numbered version and latest could be generated separately,
then I think this would work very well.

The quick-n-dirty thing to do would be to switch to the 302 redirects,
which given the dominance of google, may well be good enough.