[Haskell-cafe] Experiences with cabal-install and Hackage

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 23:33:45 EDT 2010

On 23 July 2010 02:31, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2010 18:23:32, Stephen Tetley wrote:
>> Hiding unmaintained libraries seems contrary to Hackage's spirit - if
>> you want to depend on an unmaintained library why not volunteer to be
>> the maintainer.
>
> I think it was more meant to be
>
> fails to build and not updated for (>= k months) ==>
> move to packages/notshiny

Which doesn't help if the package doesn't build due to a missing C
library, inconsistent dependencies (Hackage using two different
versions of bytestring is a common problem I've come across), or is
meant for a different (i.e. non-Linux) OS than the one Hackage is on.

> If it doesn't build and nobody seems to care about it anymore, why let it
> clutter the pkg-list, that's crowded enough even without zombies.

Because it could be a package that builds if you install the correct C
library first, and it hasn't been updated for k months because there's
no need to.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com