[Haskell-cafe] Hackage survey

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Fri Jul 16 13:25:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain at le-gall.net>wrote:

> Hello dear haskellers,
>
> I am working on OASIS-DB, a tool similar to Hackage and would like to
> have more information on how Haskellers use Hackage. I have setup a
> small poll (10 questions only) with the help of John Goerzen and Don
> Stewart.
>
> I'd like to suggest that OASIS-DB is not the best name for your project :)
 If I didn't know anything about it, I would assume it's a database engine
or some sort of open access information system.  Hackage works pretty well
as a name because it sounds like package but has the h that comes across as
implying some sort of "hacking" or "haskell".

I googled for "oasis db" and found lots of other things.  So it seems to be
a common name to pick.

Here is a (non-exhaustive) set of criteria I would recommend trying to
satisfy with a name for a project like this:
  * Not in common use already
  * Single word, easy to say, probably made up.
  * Implies something about packaging, distribution, programming
  * Optional: Implies harmony, community, activism, unity
  * Optional: Uses Camel in the name

This wouldn't be very helpful as criticism if I didn't try to make some
suggestions.  So...here goes nothing :)
  * Camedly -- Camel + Medly
  * Cammunity -- Camel + Community  (my google search showed this one might
be a trademark)
  * Camlhood
  * Camlhub -- obviously stealing from github

I'll stop there as I think you get my drift and my suggestions don't see so
great so far :)  It's a hard task, but one I would urge you to revisit.

I hope you find my feedback useful.  I think project names are important.

Jason