[Haskell-cafe] Merge hsql and HDBC -- there can only be one!

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jul 20 17:20:07 EDT 2010

On 07/07/2010 03:22 PM, Don Stewart wrote:

> And you have to be wary about the license of HDBC (LGPL) if you want to
> use the package in software you redistribute (though this is rarely the
> case for database apps, I'm guessing). Satisfying the linking
> requirements with GHC -O2 are non-trivial, even with -dynamic.

I remain ready to have a discussion with anyone that has a problem with
that.  I've had one or two people ask me about it in the past, but they
never followed up to my reply mails.  I'm not going to be a stick in the
mud about LGPL, but neither do I want to allow others to
commercialize/embrace-and-extend HDBC without giving back to the
community.  My intent isn't to get in the way of people using HDBC in
their own software, whether commercial or proprietary, but to prevent
proprietarization of HDBC itself.  I suspect LGPL+some exemption could
solve any concerns and would be happy to pursue it.