[Haskell-cafe] Merge hsql and HDBC -- there can only be one!

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Jul 7 16:22:17 EDT 2010

joerg.rudnick:
> Hi Chris,
>

> these are good questions -- actually, you might have mentioned Takusen, too.
>
> Clearly, HDBC is the largest of these projects, and there are lots of
> things well done there.
>
> Takusen has an interesting approach, and I would like to see a
> discussion here about the practical outcomes, as I have done no testing
> yet.

It has been used in production at a number of places, including Galois.

> I myself quite a time ago had an opportunity to do a Haskell job with a
> PostgreSQL backend for a client, where I tried out all three and got
> hsql running easiest. A maintainer was vacant, so I stepped in happily
> -- doing refactorings, fixing problems at request, giving advice to
> people.
>
> I can say that I am quite a little PostgreSQL centric and that I have a
> GIS project in sight, for which I want to try to adapt hsql.

And you have to be wary about the license of HDBC (LGPL) if you want to
use the package in software you redistribute (though this is rarely the
case for database apps, I'm guessing). Satisfying the linking
requirements with GHC -O2 are non-trivial, even with -dynamic.

-- Don