[Haskell-cafe] Design for 2010.2.x series Haskell Platform site

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 22:10:05 EDT 2010

On 19 July 2010 04:16, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> Hackage doesn't yet provide support for changelogs. However, it does
> provide support for repository links, from which we can construct a
> changelog. That's right: you have to read each repo to get the full
> changelog, unless the author has been nice to add it to the .cabal file.

I think it would be nice if Cabal had (optional) readme and changelog
(or just an overall generic documentation) field, so if a package had
such a file then Hackage could show it.

> I think what we need is:
>
>    * Every HP package has to have a .cabal file with the source
>      repository type and link.

For FGL, I'm trying to track down a copy of the old repository that
used to be on darcs.haskell.org.  Once I've done that I can update it
and then publish that in the new code.haskell.org repository.

> If we have the source repo and type, I can write a tool to extract the
> changelogs between each release automatically.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/change-monger ?

However, an explicit "higher-order" Changelog is usually preferable
IMHO as it can describe what's actually changed rather than "whoops, I
missed another corner case in my previous patch".

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com