[Haskell-cafe] Design for 2010.2.x series Haskell Platform site

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 18 16:23:19 EDT 2010

Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> The changelog feature would be very useful---dumping repository
> history is no substitute for it because it is too low level (contains
> too much noise).  Generally, I would expect that whoever makes the
> release of a piece of software should be in charge of writing a
> summary of what's new since the last release.  In the case of the
> Haskell platform I would expect just a highlight of major new things
> (e.g., adding/removing new packages, or updates that solve some well
> known problem, or add an interesting new feature).
>
> It would be nice to standardize on the format of a CHANGES file: then
> hackage could render it nicely, and the HP could automatically compute
> a mashup of the CHANGES files for the packages that it distributes.

Yep, I agree with everything you just said.

As somebody who occasionally releases (admittedly useless) packages on
Hackage, it's really quite irritating that there isn't an easy way to
say what changed.

(As for scanning a repo to find changes, that's very low-level, you'd
need a backend for every possible version control system, and for those
people who don't even use source control, it's not going to work at all.
Not to mention people who use source control, but don't have anywhere to
put a repo online...)