[Haskell-cafe] Design for 2010.2.x series Haskell Platform site

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sun Jul 18 14:16:35 EDT 2010

dave:

> > Actually, it just got trivial:
> >
> >    $ diffcabal old-platform.cabal haskell-platform.cabal
> >    Cabal 1.8.0.2 -> 1.8.0.6
> >    QuickCheck 2.1.0.3 -> 2.1.1.1
> [etc.]
>
> Okay, so where do I go to find out the difference between, say,
> QuickCheck 2.1.0.3 and 2.1.1.1?
>
> --

Currently, the way to do this is:

    * Visit:
        http://hackage.haskell.org/package/QuickCheck-2.1.1.1

    * Visit:
        http://hackage.haskell.org/package/QuickCheck-2.1.0.3

And note any differences in the documentation.

Hackage doesn't yet provide support for changelogs. However, it does
provide support for repository links, from which we can construct a
changelog. That's right: you have to read each repo to get the full
changelog, unless the author has been nice to add it to the .cabal file.

I think what we need is:

    * Every HP package has to have a .cabal file with the source
      repository type and link.

If we have the source repo and type, I can write a tool to extract the
changelogs between each release automatically.

-- Don

E.g.
    * darcs
    * http://code.haskell.org/QuickCheck/

>From here we can:

    $ darcs get http://code.haskell.org/QuickCheck/

And running darcs changes:

    Thu Jun 17 07:52:28 PDT 2010
    * Bump version number

    Thu Jun 17 06:53:22 PDT 2010
    * Change of plan: look at GHC's version number instead of the
    * version of base when deciding whether to depend on the ghc
    * library

    Thu Jun 17 06:40:22 PDT 2010
    * Added README to the source distribution

    Thu Jun 17 06:33:38 PDT 2010
    * Updated the README

    Thu Jun 17 06:33:27 PDT 2010
    * GHC 6.8 support

    Thu Jun 17 06:13:54 PDT 2010
    * Added support for the new base library (I hope!)

    Thu Jun 17 02:59:14 PDT 2010
    * Remove the pointless last field of the version number

    Thu Jun 17 02:32:46 PDT 2010
    * Fix homepage link

    Wed Apr 28 08:04:02 PDT 2010
    * Added my file of weird examples

    Thu Apr 22 08:37:11 PDT 2010
    * Bump the version number

    Thu Apr 22 08:27:39 PDT 2010
    * Don't force the shrink list too early

    Fri Jan 22 10:25:20 PST 2010
    * Added an Arbitrary instance for complex numbers

    Tue Jan 12 07:34:00 PST 2010
    * Changed the way that size increases

    Tue Jan 12 07:33:52 PST 2010
    * Changed the cabal version number

    Tue Jan 12 06:47:25 PST 2010
    * Skip shrinking on interrupt

    Tue Jan 12 06:47:04 PST 2010
    * Added isInterrupt to Test.QuickCheck.Exception