[Haskell-cafe] Re: the state of Hugs 2

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Jul 6 05:08:02 EDT 2010

Daniel Fischer wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2010 07:04:18, wren ng thornton wrote:
>> Cabal has a partial listing embedded in its code, though I can't seem to
>> find a textual version at the moment. In general, Hugs has all the
>> features of GHC 6.6: FFI, CPP, MPTCs, FunDeps, OverlappingInstances,...
>> I'm forgetting off-hand whether it has Rank2Types/RankNTypes, but I
>> think so. The one notable difference between Hugs and GHC6.6 is that it
>> does not have IncoherentInstances, and instead supports a
>> different/incompatible way of trying to solve that problem.
>
> Another notable difference are BangPatterns.

Were BangPatterns in 6.6? I never used them until 6.8, so...

> If support for BangPatterns could be added, that would be very convenient.
> Of course you can do it with seq, but BangPatterns are, well, very
> convenient compared to seq.
> Of course my plea for BangPatterns extends to JHC/UHC etc.

Since Hugs doesn't do strictness analysis (AFAIK), it seems like it
should be implementable in a desugaring pass. At the expense of writing
a Haskell parser, it could be done via the -F flag without even updating
Hugs. Though that'd be an ugly hack.

I don't know whether anyone's still reading them, but you could post a
ticket on http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hugs/ for it.

--
Live well,
~wren