[Haskell-cafe] Re: Rewriting a famous library and using the same name: pros and cons

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Jul 6 01:23:48 EDT 2010

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 3 July 2010 14:00, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So this argument isn't valid ;-)
>> I think it was Hugs compliant as least for some revisions - I seem to
>> remember looking at it before I switched to GHC.
>
> Actually, how would you call it in Hugs?  Just start it explicitly with
> the -98 flag?

For most extensions you use the -98 flag, for OverlappingInstances you
use +o, and for CPP you use -F'cpp -P -traditional -D__Hugs__' (or
similar). If FFI is required then call the program with ffihugs first. E.g.

     $> ffihugs -98 +o -F'cpp -P -traditional' Bar.hs
     $> hugs -98 +o -F'cpp -P -traditional' Bar.hs

Hugs does not know about LANGUAGE pragmas, as those were added in GHC
6.8. And Cabal does not infer the need for -98 or +o based on the
Extensions: field, so you'll have to add them to Hugs-Options: manually.
Also, there are some bugs in Cabal preventing the mixture of CPP and
FFI, even though this is fine in Hugs. See
http://community.haskell.org/~wren/cabal-ffihugstest for more details.

--
Live well,
~wren