[Haskell-cafe] hsql won't install due to system.time

Brian Denheyer briand at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 22 09:52:45 EST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:17:15 +0000
John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could this be a global/user install issue?  That is, if the old-time
> package is installed per-user, and you're trying to install a package
> globally, the user-installed packages all show up as hidden, because
> they can't be dependencies of a global install.
>
> This shows up frequently because global installs are the default when
> doing "runghc Setup.hs install", but per-user installs are the default
> for cabal install.  If you use both of these commands, you'll run into
> this sooner or later.
>
> You can run "ghc-pkg list" to get a listing of what's installed where.
>  If "old-time" is only in the local database, you should reinstall it
> into the global database (or install everything globally).

I knew this looked familiar ! It's the dreaded Debian/Global Local
conflict problem.  Some packages which I can't install using cabal I
install Debian packages for, which install globally.  Then, naturally,
there are Debian packages which won't install (running unstable :-) so
I used cabal for those and they install locally.  I thought it would be
better to keep it local to avoid conflicts, so much for that theory.

I basically use Debian for two reasons: to get ghc and to get cabal.
After that it seems to me a better idea to stick with cabal rather than
the debian packages.

Well I know what I'm doing this  weekend :-)

Thanks very much (everyone) for the help.

 Brian