[Haskell-cafe] OpenSUSE 11.2

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 28 12:30:59 EST 2010

Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 17:52:19 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
>
>> It also puts the binary in a strange place, but I guess I can live with
>> that...
>>

> Which strange place? By default, it should go to ~/.cabal/bin, I think.

Indeed. You'd expect it to be in some system-wide location, but
apparently not.

> Anyway, you should add that to your path, put something like
>

> if [ -z `/bin/echo ${PATH} | /usr/bin/grep cabal` ]
> then
>     export PATH="/home/andrew/.cabal/bin:$PATH"
> fi
>
> in your .bashrc

Uh... what?

>> Now, hypothetically, I should have a Linux Haskell system, so I can
>> actually compile *anything* that's on Hackage.
>>

> Not really, you'll need to install external libraries (C stuff, mostly) for
> many packages. But it should be a lot easier than on Windows.

On Linux, it seems you install the development package, rerun Cabal, and
it it somehow "knows" that the library is installed and how to find in.

On Windows... well, forget it. It'll never work, so you might as well
not bother trying.