[Haskell-cafe] Multiple Interpretations for a monad?

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 21:42:10 EST 2010

To take this a step further, there is the DSL:

 get :: m S
 put :: S -> m ()

and the concrete implementation

  m = State S

Of course, there are other monads which implement this DSL as well:

  m = StateT S IO

  m = Prompt StatePrompt
with
  data StatePrompt a where
       Get :: StatePrompt S
       Put :: S -> StatePrompt ()

The "Prompt" solution(1) encodes your program (object of type Prompt
StatePrompt a) into a way such that it can be used with *any*
interpreter, whether it is the (s -> (a,s)) of State, or lifted into
part of some larger DSL, or whatever.  For example, to lift into
StateT S IO:

interpretPrompt :: Prompt StatePrompt a -> StateT S IO a
interpretPrompt = runPromptM f where
    f :: StatePrompt a -> StateT S IO a
    f Get = get
    f (Put x) = put x

So, I think a better way to describe it is that a DSL could be
implemented by many monads, and some monads let you interpret the DSL
into another monad.  Even StateT is this way, in a sense; you
interpret it with runStateT:

   runStateT myProgram initialState :: IO (S, a)

Now you have another program in a different monad (IO) which you need
to interpret somehow.

  -- ryan

(1) http://hackage.haskell.org/package/MonadPrompt