[Haskell-cafe] Multiple Interpretations for a monad?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 10:50:14 EST 2010

Monads aren't necessarily EDSLs by themselves but are often shipped with
functions that provide what would make them an EDSL.  Take the State monad,
it has at least a get and a put function to work with the state in the
monad.  That get and put are commands that function only within the domain
of the State monad, and therefore could be thought of as an embedded
language that is used to work with the state encapsulated in the State Monad
computation.

The way I like to think of it, a Monad provides an environment or a context
within which it is very convenient to express an EDSL, and that this style
of coding should be encouraged!  :-)

Dave