GUI (was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] DLL on Windows)

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at
Tue Feb 16 20:55:33 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl at> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:57:20 +0100, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at>
> wrote:
>> I used to recommend Gtk2hs over wxHaskell for GUI development as there
>> was always a version that worked on Windows with the latest GHC
>> release. I think I might have to switch back to recommending C# for
>> GUI development...
> The latest revision of wxHaskell can be compiled relatively easy, so that
> wxHaskell can be used immediately for the latest version of GHC.

Exciting allegation, but it doesn't quite check out with GHC 6.12.1 +
cabal and cabal-install 0.8 (see below).  I would expect this
issue to be easily resolved by specifying "containers <= 0.3.*" in the
"wxdirect" package, but cabal is misbehaving (for me) and stating
wxdirect needs reinstalled with a supposedly newer version of

[tommd at Mavlo ~]$ cabal install wx
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading containers-
Configuring containers-
Preprocessing library containers-
Building containers-

    Could not find module `Data.Data':
      It is a member of the hidden package `base'.
      Perhaps you need to add `base' to the build-depends in your .cabal file.
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
containers- failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
wx- depends on containers- which failed to install.
wxcore- depends on containers- which failed to install.
wxdirect- depends on containers- which failed to install.