[Haskell-cafe] Notes on migrating from uvector to vector

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Feb 16 19:15:43 EST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 2:26 AM, Ozgur Akgun wrote:

> Wikipedia claims in short that "Year Zero is the year before 1 A.D.
> used in astronomical calculations.".
> In full: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero
>
> Seems like no calendar, other than astronomical things include it

That's not what that page says.
Read on, where it says
"there is a year zero in ... ISO 8601:2004 (where it coincides with
  the Gregorian year 1 BC)"
and later
"ISO 8601:2004 (and previously ISO 8601:2000, but not ISO 8601:1988)
  explicitly uses astronomical year numbering in its date reference
  systems.".
Read that carefully; it doesn't mean that the 1988 edition of the
standard didn't use year zero, just that it was not explicit about it.

ISO 8601 is *the* international standard for representing
dates and times.

Sort of.  XML Schema adopts 8601 *formats* but in
section D.3.2 explicitly rejects year 0.  Why they felt it advisible
to override a core industry standard is not clear to me.