[Haskell-cafe] Category Theory woes

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Tue Feb 16 12:43:08 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Mark Spezzano
<mark.spezzano at chariot.net.au>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone else found it frustratingly difficult to find details on
> easy-to-diget material on Category theory. The Chapter that I'm stuck on is
> actually labeled Preliminaries and so I reason that if I can't

I've looked through at least a dozen.  For neophytes, the best of the bunch
BY FAR is Goldblatt, Topoi: the categorial analysis of
logic<http://digital.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=math;cc=math;q1=Goldblatt;view=toc;idno=gold010>.
 Don't be put off by the title.  He not only explains the stuff, but
he
explains the problems that motivated the invention of the stuff.  He doesn't
cover monads, but he covers all the basics very clearly, so once you've got
that down you can move to another author for monads.

-gregg