[Haskell-cafe] on finding abstractions ...

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:04:58 EST 2010

2010/2/14 Günther Schmidt <gue.schmidt at web.de>:

> So fellows, what is the next stop on my road to enlightenment? I really
> think I need best to start from scratch. I think I'm sufficiently familiar
> now with most of Haskell's technicalities but how do I climb the ladder of
> abstraction?

A couple of suggestions:

- Read the code of other people. You will learn things from this.
- Use hLint on your code.
- Read "The Monad Reader", Brent's excellent typeclassopedia article
for instance. You must know the tool box before you can apply it.
- Read some of the papers that introduce various new abstract code
concepts. The trick is to ask the question "Can this apply to some of
my code?" for each of them.

--
J.