[Haskell-cafe] Re: How many "Haskell Engineer I/II/III"s are there?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:59:24 EST 2010

On 11/02/2010 20:57, Alp Mestanogullari wrote:
> It seems quite big for a 3 months project made by a student, though.

No kidding :-)  I last rewrote the RTS in 1998:

http://www.mail-archive.com/glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org/msg00329.html

So as you can see from that announcement, it took "a few months" to
rewrite the RTS.  At the time, we redesigned things quite a bit, so that
includes changes in the compiler too.  Back then of course the RTS
didn't have a few things it has now:

  - anything to do with multithreading or parallel execution
  - generational GC
  - profiling
  - dynamic linking and the byte-code interpreter (GHCi)
  - STM
  - asynchronous exceptions (throwTo)
  - event logging and tracing

but even so, it was about 20k lines.  It did have concurrency, a 2-space
GC, the FFI, all the primitives, and lots of debugging code.

Cheers,
	Simon