[Haskell-cafe] Re: How many "Haskell Engineer I/II/III"s are there?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:29:14 EST 2010

On 11/02/2010 17:01, John Van Enk wrote:
> Here's the paper:
> http://comjnl.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/33/5/466

Can you say a bit about why that GC fits your needs?  Must it be that
particular algorithm?  I don't seem to be able to find the paper online.

Replacing GHC's RTS is no mean feat, as you're probably aware.  There
are a large number of dependencies between the compiler, the RTS, and
the low-level libraries.  I expect rather than thinking about replacing
the RTS it would be more profitable to look at what kinds of things you
need the RTS to do that it currently does not.

I'm aware that some people need a GC with shorter pause times.  We'll
probably put that on the roadmap at some point.

Cheers,
	Simon