[Haskell-cafe] vector to uvector and back again

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 11 21:50:40 EST 2010

On 12/02/2010, at 12:40, Don Stewart wrote:

> rl:
>> On 11/02/2010, at 05:03, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of switching the statistics library over to using vector. uvector is pretty bit-rotted in comparison to vector at this point, and it's really seeing no development, while vector is The Shiny Future. Roman, would you call the vector library good enough to use in production at the moment?
>>
>> Yes, with the caveat that I haven't really used it in production code
>> (I have tested and benchmarked it, though). BTW, I'll release version
>> 0.5 as soon as get a code.haskell.org account and move the repo there.
>>

> That's the main problem. I think we could move to vector as a whole, if
> the suite of testing/ performance/documentation stuff from uvector was ported.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean here. Mostly thanks to Max Bolingbroke's efforts, vector has a fairly extensive testsuite. I benchmark it a lot (with NoSlow) and haven't found any significant performance problems in a while. As to documentation, there are comments for most of the functions :-)

Roman