[Haskell-cafe] vector to uvector and back again

stefan kersten sk at k-hornz.de
Thu Feb 11 12:43:10 EST 2010

On 10.02.10 19:03, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching the statistics library over to using vector.

that would be even better of course! an O(0) solution, at least for me ;) let me
know if i can be of any help (e.g. in testing). i suppose uvector-algorithms
would also need to be ported to vector, then.

> uvector is pretty bit-rotted in comparison to vector at this point, and
> it's really seeing no development, while vector is The Shiny Future.
> Roman, would you call the vector library good enough to use in
> production at the moment?

i've been using the library for wavelet transforms, matching pursuits and the
like, and while my implementations are not heavily optimized, they perform
reasonably well (no benchmarking done yet, though). the key arguments for using
vector instead of uvector were the cleaner interface and Data.Vector.Storable
for interfacing with foreign libraries (such as fftw, through the fft package).

<sk>