[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Package version ranges

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:04:42 EST 2010

Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
>> Well, in Gentoo we normally resort to using sed to fix these kinds of
>> things.  If we can do it, I'm sure the Arch package managers are able to
>> do so.
>
> That is not a bad idea. The only problem I can see with that approach
> is the error-reports will be hard to understand if they are not
> filtered through the maintainer of said Gentoo-package. I usually
> configure my git-repositories to use 'git describe' and add a -dirty
> or -tainted to that if the tree is not clean when building. This tend
> to capture the problem of local patches and gives me a hint that
> something is altered :)

Well, I was only talking about it from a package management point of
view, in which case users do come and complain to us first ;-)

Note that the sed'ding is done via the Gentoo ebuild for the package, as
are any patches we apply; as such there's no "fixed" tarball or anything
floating around for any of these packages.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com