[Haskell-cafe] Hackage Package version ranges

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:28:49 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, if I could sign up to be emailed when something went
> wrong, I'd happily fix it. i.e. I'd like an email either when my
> package fails to compile against the latest version of all packages
> but within my constrained range, or when the latest version falls
> outside my constraint range.

Getting correct dependency convergence through automatic building of
packages and error-emails would be fairly interesting I think. The
problem is not new as all software with dependencies are bound to run
against its wall at some point - so perhaps there are some thoughts
out there about what works and what doesn't. There is a reminiscence
of buildbot in this as well. Generally, you want an environment where
your package is built against all platforms currently under support at
intervals to catch these kinds of errors. However, getting the
infrastructure set up for this is a somewhat daunting task.

--
J.