[Haskell-cafe] Reader monad

Michael Lazarev lazarev.michael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 22:48:31 CET 2010

2010/12/29 michael rice <nowgate at yahoo.com>
> I had an "Aha!" moment and it all makes sense now. Just as the State monad can hold a generator (which can change) and pass it down a calculation chain, a Reader monad can hold an environment (which doesn't change) and pass it down a calculation chain. I was wondering how I could include a (global) house betting limit in that craps application I've been playing with (without passing it as a parameter) and it sounds like the Reader monad would be an ideal candidate. Correct? It also sounds like a job for monad transforms.

That is right. You need transformers if you want to have one value as
settings to read, other value as a state, and so on, and they must be
simultaneously accessible in some function. Or, for example, if you
want to build a sequence of IO actions by functions that share the
same environment.

After you said that you had an "Aha!" moment, I remembered how I had
something alike not very long ago. That was surprising event when I
ended up with some transformer stack written myself although just
several minutes ago I would consider this to be some dark wizardry.

When I was dealing with monads for the first time, I tried reading
source code and explanations. Soon I found that pure unapplied theory
was making such a dismal, depressing feeling on me that I was not able
to continue.

But some time after I was writing an application in Haskell. It was
real, and contrary to my previous theoretical studies the process was
much fun. I had good FP background at that time, and had no problem
writing everything in functional style. Since everything that can be
done with monads can also be done without them, I didn't use any monad
except IO (in main function :) ). Not that I especially avoided them,
I just didn't think about them.

And then I noticed that I constantly pass one same parameter to a lot
of functions. And then -- since I remembered the boring theory -- bam!
-- I introduced Reader into the code. And it worked. Which tempted me
to interweave Reader and Writer, and so on, and twenty minutes later I
had monstrosity that I only saw before in others' code: ReaderT
WriterT State .... and so on :)

So, good luck with your application!