[Haskell-cafe] Offer to mirror Hackage

Dan Knapp dankna at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 02:11:15 CET 2010

Wow, this thread got long.  Good!  I'm hopeful that we can take some
action now. :)

My views on the issues that have been raised -

The Haskell steering committee is a good thing and I fully support
them.  I also support the current maintainer of the site; I don't want
to take over or anything, only to assist.  In fact, I'll go further,
please don't anybody attempt to foist any high-level responsibility on
me.  I'm a bad receptacle for it.  But I do have these technological
resources at my disposal and there's no reason the community shouldn't
benefit from them.

Re incorporation, the person who said that it has to happen was
dead-on.  So the rest of the discussion on that point is moot.  But
it's quite independent of when and how we set up mirroring.

I agree that signed packages are a good idea.  We should move with all
haste to implement them.  But I'm not sure we want to hold up
everything else while we wait for that.  That's also my take on a
peer-peer repository, as I said already.  Can somebody who understands
the technologies typically used for this suggest one, and possibly
also talk to dcoutts directly to make him aware of the discussion and
get his thoughts on how to implement it?  I've found he often makes
points that save me a lot of work. :)

I can certainly conceive of life events that could take my attention,
despite all good intentions, in much the fashion that the current
maintainer's often is.  (That's awkward to say - what's his name,
again?  I know I should know it...  It's not dcoutts, is it?)  So I
want to build something that works well with minimal manual
intervention.

I was of the impression that most of the members of the steering
committee were on this list, which is one reason I posted here.  Is
there some other way I should contact them?

I will talk to dcoutts, and see what the current status of the
distributed-operation code is and figure out how much time I can
devote to helping with that.

--
Dan Knapp
"An infallible method of conciliating a tiger is to allow oneself to