[Haskell-cafe] the beginning of the end

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 5 18:48:20 CET 2010

On 5 December 2010 18:34, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh yeah, the 2.0 stuff that snobby techies love to hate :) hrrmpf back in
> my day we programmed in binary using a magnetized needle on the exposed
> tape! I don't need any of this newfangled bull****.
>
> I kid! But I am curious to see why people are so opposed to this stuff? The
> attitude "I can't see any reason for it to exist" (without having seriously
> tried it) seems similar to that our (haskell's) detractors use when taking a
> cursory glance at it and saying the syntax doesn't make sense.

Of course, their use lies in their popularity. To be popular you have to be
(1) well designed/usable and (2) stable/aka never down. This is why e.g.
Github is extremely useful. It's well designed so it's easy to use, it's
popular so most people are familiar with the interface, and it has
near-perfect uptime. I frown a bit when someone provides a link to their Git
repository and it's some custom repo viewer or non at all on a domain that
may or may not exist next week. Twitter, reddit and blogspot are pretty much
ideal for reporting on uptime issues.

On 5 December 2010 18:00, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>
 wrote:

> Twitter might be the one idea worse than reddit for this kind of thing....

Why?