[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.0.1 developer challenges

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 4 19:42:48 CET 2010

On 11/24/10 20:59 , John D. Ramsdell wrote:
> Due to a security concern, GHC 7.0.1 disables all runtime flags unless
> a new flag is provided during linking.  Since limiting memory usage is
> so important, many developers will modify their cabal files to add the
> linker flag or prepare for complaints from users that the developer's
> program caused their machine to freeze and lose their work.

We went over this some time back; the GHC runtime is wrong here, it should
only disable flags when running with geteuid() == 0.  Also, the current
mechanism for specifying runtime flags at compile time is horridly ugly and
this really needs to be fixed before any such runtime limitation is viable.
 I hope that will be fixed in a later point release.

- --
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]  allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university      KF8NH
Version: GnuPG v2.0.10 (Darwin)