[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage on Linux

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sun Aug 29 19:39:49 EDT 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> What all this proves is that XML can be horrid, or it can be just fine. Personally, I would have no problem with writing
>
> <Name>foo</Name>
> <Version>1.0</Version>
> <Synopsis>This does stuff.</Synopsis>
>
> Now I don't have to worry about whitespace; XML has rules for all that.

Multiple conflicting sets of rules, in fact.
There _is_ a notion of "element content white space", however,
non-validating parsers like expat can't KNOW which white space is
ecws and which is not.

>> Huh, I was under the impression that you could just use unix-style
>> file paths in a relative fashion with Cabal even on Windows...
>>

> Uhuh, and how do you specify whether the files are under C: or D:?

Since early MS-DOS days, / and \ have been interchangeable except
in the command language.  If you want C:\FOO\BAR to pass to a system
function, C:/FOO/BAR will work just as well.