[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage on Linux

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 27 12:57:04 EDT 2010

C. McCann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Andrew Coppin
> <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I haven't found anything for Windows yet which has syntax
>> hilighting for Haskell.
>>
>> I use SciTE, which has hilighting for a bazillion languages (including XML
>> and JSON), but not Haskell sadly.
>>

> Veering somewhat offtopic, but last time I checked, SciTE does have
> lexer support for Haskell, it just doesn't actually include (for
> unknown reasons) a language properties file to go with it.

OK. Well maybe it's just the version I've got then? Or maybe, as you
say, because it's not enabled I don't know it's there.

> If you give
> it one, syntax highlighting mostly works. You can write your own if
> you like--the .properties files have a pretty simple
> "property.name=value" syntax, which is mildly amusing in the context
> of this email thread--or borrow someone else's, such as this one:
> http://www4.in.tum.de/~haftmann/resources/haskell.properties A few
> tweaks in the global properties are required to get everything
> working--I don't remember the details, but it didn't take me long to
> figure it out.

Ah yes. The reason I seldom update SciTE is that it then takes hours to
put all the configuration back to the way I like it. (Especially if
option names have changed or defaults are different now.)

SciTE is a nice editor, but not especially well documented. (And, what,
they haven't made a configuration editor yet? :-P )