[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage on Linux

C. McCann cam at uptoisomorphism.net
Fri Aug 27 10:14:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I haven't found anything for Windows yet which has syntax
> hilighting for Haskell.
>
> I use SciTE, which has hilighting for a bazillion languages (including XML
> and JSON), but not Haskell sadly.

Veering somewhat offtopic, but last time I checked, SciTE does have
lexer support for Haskell, it just doesn't actually include (for
unknown reasons) a language properties file to go with it. If you give
it one, syntax highlighting mostly works. You can write your own if
you like--the .properties files have a pretty simple
"property.name=value" syntax, which is mildly amusing in the context
of this email thread--or borrow someone else's, such as this one:
http://www4.in.tum.de/~haftmann/resources/haskell.properties A few
tweaks in the global properties are required to get everything
working--I don't remember the details, but it didn't take me long to
figure it out.

Also, on Windows, I'm aware of at least Notepad++ that has some very
basic syntax highlighting for Haskell working out of the box. It's
based on Scintilla, as well, so should feel comfortable to someone
accustomed to SciTE.

- C.