[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 01:55:38 EDT 2010

On 24 August 2010 15:50, Mathew de Detrich <deteego at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use archlinux packages however it became a pain for the following
> reasons
>
> - packages on archlinux don't auto update when cabal does. This becomes
> really annoying when package X gets updated on cabal but not on arch and
> causes conflicts with other packages

Huh?  Are you referring to doing a "cabal update"?  If so, how is this
causing conflicts?  Are you mixing and matching distro packages with
packages installed by hand?

I thought Don kept the external Haskell repository up to date with the
packages on Hackage...

> - in some situations doing a general update with arch (through clyde or
> packer)  breaks ghc (last time it happened packer tried to uninstall/update
> arch packages which failed because those packages had dependencies. The
> files got removed but since unregister failed ghc thought they still
> existed)

Is this the problem with bad packages or the package manager playing up?

> Apart from base/required packages, unless your linux distro has proper
> metapackages its in my opinion just better off using cabal install (and only
> use arch packages for binaries)

What do you mean by "metapackages"?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic