[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 01:50:10 EDT 2010

I used to use archlinux packages however it became a pain for the following

- packages on archlinux don't auto update when cabal does. This becomes
really annoying when package X gets updated on cabal but not on arch and
causes conflicts with other packages

- in some situations doing a general update with arch (through clyde or
packer)  breaks ghc (last time it happened packer tried to uninstall/update
arch packages which failed because those packages had dependencies. The
files got removed but since unregister failed ghc thought they still

Apart from base/required packages, unless your linux distro has proper
metapackages its in my opinion just better off using cabal install (and only
use arch packages for binaries)

On 23/08/2010 2:21 AM, "Brandon S Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>

On 08/22/2010 07:19 AM, Jonas Almström Duregård wrote:
>> Now, you say it's preferable to use the na...
No, the Windows and OSX installers are just that.  They provide no
facilities for finding packages, identifying the package a given file
came from, or dependency tracking.  OSX's installer doesn't even have
uninstall support; it records the installed files, but provides no
mechanism for undoing configuration changes such as removing
package-installed kernel modules.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -...

Haskell-Cafe mailing list